Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How About Those Wild Cards?

Unbelievable.  That word barely describes the run to the World Series that the St. Louis Cardinals just completed.  Wow.
Lauren and I were fortunate enough to attend game 2 of the World Series at Busch Stadium.  It was a tough game though as we had to witness the Cardinals blow a 1-0 lead in the 9th inning and a chance to go up 2-0 in the series.  Lauren said that I took the loss like it was one of my basketball games.
The next week we traveled to Ft. Lauderdale, FL on my Birthday, October 27th.  Because of the rain Game 6 was pushed back to that day.  We had just landed in Atlanta when the game started.  I just followed Lauren's lead to our next gate as I kept watch on my phone at the gamecast on ESPN.com.  When we took off the Cardinals were struggling and mid flight we had to endure dropped fly balls and runners picked off as the Rangers took a 7-4 lead when we landed.
By the time we made it to the hotel to check in it was the bottom of the 8th and we arrived just in time to see the Cardinals strand 2 runners on base and the score was 7-5, thanks to an Allan Craig hr.


After we checked in we headed up to our room to watch the 9th inning.  In the elevator a Rangers fan had some prophetic words.  He said, "Hey kid, keep your head up.  I've seen the Rangers blow leads like this all the time.  The Rangers are real chokers."  I just shook my head and told him I hope so, trying to be a fan and hold onto what little hope was left.
Little did we know that when we entered our room that magic as about to happen in St. Louis.  After watching the top of the 9th we decided to get the Rally Squirrel out just for good measure.  I started chanting "Rally Squirrel" on every pitch and as the Cardinals began their comeback I danced around the room with the rally squirrel.  The people below our room were probably thinking that some monkeys moved in above them.  When David Freese hit the game winning walkoff hr following two comebacks in two innings from down two runs, the dancing was then mixed in with a few jumps on the bed.  I couldn't go to sleep for another hour or so because I was so excited.
The next day for game 7 we went to Duffy's.  Duffy's was a sports bar with about 17 large projector screens showing sports on all of them.  We were lucky enough to be sat next to 2 Rangers fans.  We tried to show good sportsmanship but we also rubbed in the amazing victory that our St. Louis Cardinals had just recorded.
Now a week later I'm still getting goosebumps everytime I see the Cardinals celebrating on the field at Busch Stadium after Allen Craig caught the last out.  Only thing that I keep saying is Unbelievable.  Wow.

They Did It For Torty      #11in11

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment