Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Trunk Remodel

Well today was a day of working for this girl! I had been given an old trunk from my neighbor about a year ago and thought it would be a great piece to put toys in someday in the future. That time has come that we need it. I had the idea to put a cushion and fabric on top so it would make a little window seat for the baby to sit on when she gets older. The inside will be used to put toys in and other things we might need.

The trunk started out Pink when I got it. If I liked lots of pink stuff and thats what the baby's room was going to be in then it would have been a great color, but I am doing gray and yellow. After 2 trips to Lowe's today I now have transformed the pink trunk into a great yellow trunk. Little did I know that the trunk had been painted before the pink. I got stripper to help remove the paint and realized that there was a dark green before the pink. So I stripped the pink first and then the green. Once I was finished with that process I was able to use my new sander to sand the trunk so it would be smooth to paint.

The pink is what the trunk started off as. After taking the paint of with stripper I found the green underneath. This is before I sanded the green side. 

 This is after I finished sanding the trunk and before it was turned yellow! 
 After sanding it was finally ready to be painted yellow. Steven and I had picked out the yellow sometime last week and I was just itching to get it on there to see what it looked like. After 2 coats of paint it is yellow and beautiful!




I got fabric at JoAnn's in Springfield to match the curtains and yellow on Monday. My friend Andrea helped me cut the cushion and fabric. We stapled the fabric on the lid covering the foam cushion. I couldn't have done this without her or Steven. Steven graciously took off the hinges for me so I could do this project and he graciously put the lid back on for me too.
The trunk is finished and now only needs to be put in the room. Thank you to Andrea and Steven who helped me with this project. I can't wait to see what it will look like in the room. Even more having a toddler crawling on it in a couple of years!
Andrea helped me measure the fabric and the foam to fit the lid. 
The finished trunk!


1 comment: